Follow this guide to set up Litify Inbox in your Litify organization and Outlook. These steps enable all users to begin syncing emails, tasks, and records between Litify and Outlook.
Users can log in and set up their sync with this guide.
About the Implementation Process
This section is an overview of what to expect while implementing Litify Inbox.
- Requirements phase: We want to understand how your firm uses email, events, calendars, and attachments.
- Provisioning phase: Complete and submit the linked questionnaire. Invisible then sets up the required Tenant space (the Litify Inbox “org”) and provide credentials to the Admin Panel.
- Review phase: At this point Invisible reviews the questionnaire, requirements, and identifies any potential pain points/best practices
- Workflow building phase: Litify Services develops recommended workflow(s) for common tasks, such as:
- Save Email
- Save Attachments
- Schedule Events (most likely point of complexity)
- See colleagues’ calendars
- A call is coordinated between Litify Services and a representative of RevenueGrid to install Inbox.
- Training begins for Admins & pilot users. Pilot group of users completes setup and tests the recommended workflows.
- Notify end users of Inbox go-live date, training dates.
- Training begins for end users.
- Firm IT mass deploys Inbox for all users.
- Users complete setup.
- If Events do not currently live in Outlook, migrate Events to Litify after all users have fully set up their Inbox accounts
Supported Exchange Environments
See this article for the list of supported Exchange environments and Outlook versions.
Support for G Suite (Google Apps) is planned but not yet available.
Two Versions of Litify Inbox: Cloud vs. Desktop
There are actually two versions of Litify Inbox. Their names indicate how they are installed: The “Cloud” version is installed into the Exchange environment via the web, while the “Desktop” or “MSI” version is installed locally onto individual Windows computers using a Microsoft Installer (“MSI”).
The cloud version is strongly recommended. However, there are some advanced features which are only supported by one or the other version. If a firm requires one of these features, one version may be a better fit for them.
The key differences between the cloud and desktop versions are:
Desktop (MSI) Advantages
- Supports Delegated Calendars
- Supports pinning the sidebar open on some older versions of desktop Outlook
- Inbox sidebar will appear in desktop, web-based, and mobile Outlook (mobile requires Office365 with Exchange Online)
- Supports Mac Outlook application
- Users can attach files directly from SpringCM while composing an email (currently Windows only)
- Supports Exchange Impersonation feature
Impersonation is way of configuring Microsoft Exchange so that a group of users (either a specific group or all users) are authenticated via a shared service account.
Although Impersonation can be difficult to initially configure, we recommend using it in larger firms because:
- end users have fewer setup steps
- new users, as long as they are added to the service account, will have fewer setup steps
Users will not need to re-enter their Exchange credentials within Litify Inbox every 90 days (otherwise this is required due to Microsoft security policies)
Both versions of Litify Inbox can be mass-deployed for the whole firm from a centralized place. This process is usually controlled by firm’s IT department.
Mass deployment — as well as Exchange Impersonation — is encouraged for larger firms (>20 users) because:
- end users don’t need to install anything themselves
- new users will automatically have Inbox installed/enabled
Cloud version mass-deployment
The cloud version of the Litify Inbox add-in is simple to mass-deploy.
Desktop version mass-deployment
The desktop version of the Litify Inbox add-in can be installed as a Windows application by the firm’s IT department, with guidance from Invisible on a shared call. If a firm requires the desktop add-in, Invisible will provide an archive containing the needed files:
- MSI and MST for Outlook x64 bit
- MSI and MST for Outlook x32 (86) bit
- .cmd files for installation per user
1. Complete the Litify Inbox Provisioning Steps
- Download this questionnaire as a word document.
- Complete all the setup fields.
- Email email@example.com requesting a tenant space for the firm. Include the firm name in the email, and attach the completed Litify Inbox Provisioning Questionnaire version 4 to the email.
Within 72 business hours, Invisible will provision the tenant and provide the following:
- URL to install the Outlook sidebar add-in
- URL/login/password to the tenant space Litify Inbox administrative dashboard
You will not need to access the admin dashboard for most implementations. The administrative dashboard includes advanced setup features such as:
- Enabling Exchange impersonation
- Sync issues
- Connectivity issues
- Configuring multiple exchange servers within the same firm
If the implementation does require accessing the admin dashboard, contact Litify Partner Enablement for training and assistance
2. Request Advanced Calendaring for your organization
- Create a Salesforce Support Case via help.salesforce.com or partners.salesforce.com.
- Select Category: Feature Activation & Limits > Other Features.
- Request they activate Advanced Calendaring in your organization.
This article contains more information about this issue.
3. Litify Organization Configuration
- Log in to Litify.
- Select one of the following installation links:
- Select Install for All Users. A success message populates once complete.
- Add the Event Attendees component to the Event page.
- Navigate to your Calendar and select Create Event.
- Select Edit Page on the event via the gear icon in the upper-right corner.
- Locate the Event Attendees component in Custom - Managed components and drag it onto the page. Optionally, you can create a custom record page if you want to add this component to the sidebar.
- Uncheck the Search in Leads box.
- Save the page.
- Make the page active and assign it as the organization default layout.
- Make sure Enhanced Email is enabled in your Litify organization. Navigate to Setup > Enhanced Email > Enable.
4. Decide on deployment options
Use SmartCloud Connect’s decision matrix to select a deployment option.
Litify recommends using a soft-launch pilot program for a few admins and power users while you are customizing the tool to your specific needs. If you are working with Litify Professional Services, your Litify Technical Project Manager (TPM) can assist you with this process.
5. Customize side panel according to your needs.
Configure the inbox side panel to include any functionality needed. Once complete, push all config updates to your Salesforce org.
Which objects should appear in the Litify Inbox sidebar?
- Any object you want to save emails/events to
- Any object you want to be able to create
- Any object that is referenced in a lookup field you want to include on a detail view for a different object (e.g., “Sources” lookup on Matters)
- Content Document (File) to allow saving Salesforce Files
- User to allow users to be selected as recipients of email templates
- Email Message to allow saving of enhanced emails to activity timeline
- Events and Tasks to allow display of Activity Timeline and to allow creation of these records
- Log in to Office 365.
- Open a received email > expand menu > scroll and select Litify Inbox > Open Litify Inbox.
- Expand the Litify Inbox menu and select Customization.
- Find the Objects in Litify Column. Enable checkboxes beside each item you wish to use. Selected items populate in the Objects in SmartCloud Connect column.
- Pin each added object. You can also drag each object to re-order the list.
6. Install Litify Outlook Add-In
You must be an Outlook Admin to complete these steps.
- Navigate to Admin in Office 365.
- Select the Admin centers dropdown and select Exchange.
- Find Organizations > select add-ins.
- Select the + dropdown > Add from URL.
- Input the URL provided by Litify.
- Select Install. Litify Inbox now appears on your add-ins list.
- Ensure the USER DEFAULT column reads “Enabled.” Select Disabled > Optional > Enable by default.
7. Log In from Outlook Add-In to Litify
- Select New Message.
- Select the Litify icon > Open SmartCloud Connect.
- Select Connect to Salesforce.
- Input your Litify email and password.
- Select Allow Connection.
8. Connect Office 365 to Microsoft Exchange
- Log in to your Office 365 account.
- Navigate to Menu > Sync Settings.
- Find the Mail Server Connection Status tile and select Change > Microsoft Office 365. A login modal appears.
- Input your login and password to continue.
- Navigate to Dashboards and ensure Synchronization is enabled.
- Navigate to Sync Settings > Filters.
- Enable Calendar Sync.
9. Setup SpringCM in Litify Inbox
Enable SpringCM Integration in SmartCloud Connect using this SmartCloud Connect guide.
10. Additional considerations
SmartCloud Connect on Litify is configured by default for all users. Some considerations about user configuration:
- Only parties, intakes, and matters are suggested as relevant records when viewing an email or event.
- Two-way auto-sync is enabled for events between Outlook and Litify calendars.
- Sync between Outlook and Litify tasks and contacts is disabled.
- Email attachments are saved as Salesforce Files on both the Enhanced Email record and the parent record (e.g., a matter) to whose Activity Timeline that email is saved.