What is a Matter?
A Matter is a Litify object that associates information of a pending, ongoing, or past legal case. A Matter includes basic details such as important dates, case type, location, and status. Matters also include attached files and financial information, such as billing rates, time entries, and expenses. Individual Matters also include related Party and Intake Records. Firms that use advanced Matters features can see the Events, Tasks, Chatter Communications, Matter Plan, associated Matter Plan Stages, and Matter Plan Tasks that are associated with a given Matter.
When to Create a Matter Record?
Create a matter record on your matters page to work on the entirety of a case in one location. Add matter plans, tasks, and matter teams to a matter. Many matters begin as intakes or referral records. Some firms work entirely in matters, so this process is for matter records that do not originate as intakes or referral records.
Creating a Matter
1. Navigate to the Matters Page. On this page, you can view, create, edit, and delete Matter records. You can sort your Matters by list views. The standard list views are: All, Closed Matters, Open Matters, and Recently Viewed. Create a new list view to change what records you see on this page.
2. In the upper-right corner, click New.
3. Complete the New Matter: Billable Matter window. You must select a party record to populate the Client field.
4. Click Save.
5. The new Matter Record opens. Begin compiling information on the Matter.
Create a Matter from the Matters Tab
1. Click the dropdown arrow on the Matters Tab and click +New Matter to create a Matter.