What is a party?
The party object contains the important information about any individual, business, or individual at a business on Litify. You can store the party's address, phone number, email, and other information on this record and keep track of it. This information is accessible and stored in the appropriate place when you use a party as a client on an intake or matter.
When should I create a party?
Create a party when you initially make contact with a potential client at the intake stage and begin collecting information about this individual or business. Then use parties to:
• Populate the Client field on intakes and matters. You must use party records to populate Client fields.
• Create roles on intakes and matters.
• Ensure that the individual or business's information is stored on Litify on every associated record. If you open an intake from a matter, the party's information carries over to the matter. This also pertains to roles.
Access to parties through profiles
You must grant a user's access to Party/Account records through profiles. See this article about creating custom profiles.
Create a party:
1. First, search for the party name in the Search bar to make sure there is no record for this party.
• You can search for a first or last name, a phone number, or an email address. Searching by name will show preview results.
• Note: Contacts are different from parties. You may see a contact for the person in the search results, but you want to open the party instead.
2. Locate the Parties tab on Litify Intakes or Litify Matters. Click the downarrow and click + New Party to create a party directly from the tab. Or click the Parties tab to navigate to your parties page.
3. On your Parties page, you can create, view, edit, and delete party records. Sort parties with list views in the dropdown list in the upper left. Click New in the upper right.
4. Select Litify Business or Litify Individual in the "New Party" window. Click Ok.
5. Fill out the party's information in the "Create Party: Litify Individual" window. Click Save. To edit the fields this window displays, view this article.
Click Save & Create Intake to save the new party record and create an intake record with the new party as the client. This button directs you to the "Create Intake" window.
6. On the party record page you can view details, activity history, and any related lists associated with the party, including intakes and matters where the party is the client.
Billing Address State field
In order for the party to reflect an accurate State location across all related records, enter the state using only these formats: NY or New York, NY. Use DC or District of Columbia for Washington, D.C.. This applies to all states.
Every time you create a party for an Individual, a contact record is also created for that individual.
Party Name field
Your page layout might contain the Party Name field. You cannot edit this field. Edit the First Name and Last Name fields and the Party Name field will reflect those edits. See this FAQ for more information.
Issue with Editing Party Records
Currently, users cannot edit party records if any intakes or matters that look up to the record are locked. These records might be locked while you are waiting for them to be approved.
1. Best Practice — resolve approval requests as quickly as possible to avoid encountering this issue.
2. If a field update is needed on a party while it’s locked, create a Task on the Party requesting the field update be made by the System Administrator (assign to them).
Create, Add, and Organize Roles on Intakes and Matters
See Salesforce documentation for more information about Parties/Accounts.