What is a role?
Role (Role__c) is an object that defines how a party is connected to an intake or matter. Parties with important roles on an intake might include a witness, family member, or a health care professional who provided care following an injury.
Roles can also be businesses, such as hospitals, medical centers, and insurance companies related to an intake or matter.
Roles are a "junction" between a party — who might be involved in many different intakes or matters over time — and a specific intake or matter, where they played a specific role.
What is the Roles component?
The Roles component is your hub to create and organize roles for every individual or business involved in a case. This is where you maintain a library of everyone involved with a case across the intake and matter lifecycle in Litify.
Drag and drop roles to create hierarchies and relate roles to each other. For example, drag the role record for the opposing counsel on to the role record for the opposing party to reflect their relationship.
Guides in this section
View additional articles for more information:
- Create a Role
- Edit a Role (includes organizing roles and creating related records)
- Search and Filter Roles
The Roles component contains a few main elements:
- A table showing all roles related to the current intake or matter, including important information such as:
- party name,
- role category (and sub-category if relevant),
- email address, and
- other customizable fields
- Add Party button, which lets you create new roles
- The Search to Filter and Filter by Role fields, which let you easily find the roles you want from a longer list
Within the table, relationships between roles are shown by the fact that some roles are indented below others. See this article about editing a role for more information about related "parent" and "child" roles.
Role Detail Sidebar
If you click any role within the table, the "role detail" sidebar will open. This sidebar shows you more about the role record, including:
- information about the role itself, such as the role category and sub-category, and any additional traits or comments about the party or their relationship to the case
- a customizable set of fields about the party in the role, such as their name and contact information
- any related records that involve the party in this role, such as damages, insurances, or negotiations
- the related lists which appear in the role detail sidebar can be customized by your Litify admin
The icons at the top of the sidebar let you quickly perform common actions such as:
- edit the role details,
- create a new related record connected to the intake or matter and this role,
- delete the role,
- open the record page for the party in this role in a new window, and
- close the sidebar
This article explains more about how to edit a role, including creating and editing related records from the Roles component.