Compact layouts are smaller layouts that display the most important information about a record. Use compact layouts to quickly gather information about records without navigating to the record or reviewing all of its information. Compact layouts have two uses.
First, compact layouts appear when you hover over a record. For example, when you hover over the party record on a Client field, you can view the party record's compact layout:
Second, the first six fields on the compact layout appear at the top of a record in the highlights section. This intake compact layout appears at the top of this intake.
Follow this guide to determine which fields this layout displays.
Why do I need to clone the Litify layout before customizing it?
Clone the Litify Managed Compact Layouts and customize them for your business. For best practices, we recommend you clone all compact layouts you want to customize. If you customize the layouts included in the package without cloning them, you will lose all customization every time you upgrade your org to the latest Litify release.
Follow this guide to create custom compact layouts and ensure they are not overwritten when you upgrade your org. For this example, we're cloning and customizing the Party object's compact layout. Change any compact layout according to your firm's needs.
Other common customizations:
-Add the Client and Case Type fields to the Intake and Matter compact layouts.
-Add the Display Name field to any custom layout.
1. Click in the upper-right corner, and click Setup.
2. Navigate to Object Manager.
3. In Object Manager, locate the object for which you want to create a custom compact layout.
4. On the object, click Compact Layouts in the left sidebar.
5. Click Litify Compact Layout. Note: The name of the layout will vary depending on the object. For example, the managed compact layout on the intake object is called Compact Layout.
6. On the Litify Compact Layout, click Clone.
7. Complete the New Compact Layout window.
a. Name the layout in the Label field.
b. The Name field is auto-populated.
c. Select the fields you want to add to the compact layout in the Available Fields box. You can also remove and reorder fields on this window.
d. Click Add.
8. For this example, we added the Last Called At field to the Selected Fields on the Party object.
9. Click Save.
Assign the new custom layout
Now that you've cloned a layout and customized it, you need to assign it.
1. Navigate back to the Compact Layouts page. Click Compact Layout Assignment in the upper-right corner.
2. Click Edit Assignment.
3. Complete the Compact Layout Assignment.
a. Select your new custom layout in the Primary Compact Layout dropdown list.
b. Then select the the necessary Record Types and select your custom layout in the Compact Layout to Use dropdown list.
c. Save the changes.
4. Hover over a record to test your new custom compact layout. This party record now contains the Last Called At field.
Create custom Compact Layouts for additional objects if necessary. Make sure to clone the Litify pre-built custom layouts before editing them. If you choose to edit the Litify compact layouts, your customization will be overwritten every time you upgrade your org.
See Salesforce documentation for more information about compact layouts.
If you do not clone compact layouts and customize them, your compact layouts will be overwritten with each new release.