The Activity Timeline gives you a comprehensive, chronological view of the activity that has taken place on an intake, matter, or any other type of record. Use it to:
- Spend less time reviewing everything that has been done on a case
- See what's coming up next
- Jump around in time without scrolling through multiple pages or hundreds of records
- Search and filter the timeline to quickly find what you're looking for
- Dive into details without losing the context of what happened before and after
- View and edit records in a responsive sidebar without leaving the Activity Timeline
Table of Contents
- Component sections
- Navigate the timeline
- View activity records in the sidebar
- Edit a record in the sidebar
- Open a record in a new tab
- Delete an activity record
- Switch between records in the sidebar
- Close the activity record sidebar
- Search for records
- Clear a search
- Filter (show/hide) records
- Apply a filter
- Change or remove filters within the filter menu
- Remove filters using the filter pills
- Expand activity rows to show the Body field
- Expand/collapse an individual row
- Expand/collapse all visible rows
- View more activity records
- Switch the sort order of activity records
- Refresh the timeline table
- Wrap/clip text within the timeline table
- Search bar
- Filter menu
- Activity table
- Table options
- Month/year header
- Activity record row
- Additional fields
- Activity actions menu
- Activity record sidebar
- Record actions icons
- Open in new tab
- Record fields
- Record actions icons
Navigate the timeline
You can navigate the timeline by scrolling up and down, or by clicking any month in the "mini-timeline" to jump to that time period.
View activity records in the sidebar
To view more information about any record in the timeline, click the blue Subject field to open the sidebar.
You can also choose the View option from the action menu within the record row.
Edit a record in the sidebar
To edit an activity record in the sidebar, click the pencil (edit) icon at the top of the sidebar, or within any editable field. You will need to Save any changes you make.
Note that some records may not be editable. This may be either because:
- you do not have permission to edit these records, or
- your admin has marked this Activity Type as unavailable to edit.
Open a record in a new tab
To open any activity in a new tab, first open the record in the sidebar. Then click the Open in New Tab icon at the top of the sidebar.
Delete an activity record
To delete an activity record, first open the record in the sidebar. Then click the trash can (delete) icon at the top of the sidebar.
You will be asked to confirm that you want to delete the activity record.
Note that you will only be able to delete records that you have permission to delete.
Switch between records in the sidebar
To focus on another record with the sidebar already open, click the Up or Down arrows within the sidebar. This will shift focus to the record above or below the current record within the timeline.
You can also simply click a different record within the timeline.
Close the activity record sidebar
To close the sidebar, click the X icon.
You can also click the blue Subject field within the currently focused record row.
Search for records
To search for records, enter a search term in the Search Timeline bar at the top of the component and hit your Return key.
The timeline table will then show you only records where that search term appears. All fields which are mapped to the table will be searched. (Fields that are not mapped to the timeline table will not be searched.)
Clear a search
To clear your search and show all records again, click the X icon within the search bar.
Filter (show/hide) records
In addition to searching for specific words or phrases, you can also filter the records within the timeline by a combination of criteria:
- All records
- All past records
- All records from the past X days
- All future records
- All records in the next X days
- All users
- Current user
- Activity Type
- When filtering for activity records by dates in the past or future, you can choose how many days into the past/future
- Both the Date and User filter options will use the field mapped to the corresponding column in the timeline table to run the filter
- If you are filtering for Task records as an Activity Type, you will also have the option to filter based on certain Task-specific values:
- Call vs. Task
- Complete vs. Incomplete
Apply a filter
To apply a filter, click the filter menu icon to open the menu. Then select the filter values you wish to apply, and click the Apply button.
Change or remove filters within the filter menu
To change or remove filters using the filter menu, click the filter menu icon to open the menu. Then select the values you wish to change/remove, and click the Apply button.
You can also click the Restore Defaults link within the filter menu to restore the filter options to their default state. You will still need to click Apply to apply this change.
Remove filters using the filter pills
Remove individual filters while leaving others in place by clicking the X button within individual filter pills.
You can also click the Clear All link within the filter pills section to remove all applied filters.
Expand activity rows to show the Body field
The Body field for activity records is shown below the other values within the same row. By default, this field may be either expanded or collapsed, depending on how your admin has configured the Activity Timeline.
Expand/collapse an individual row
To expand or collapse the Body for any individual activity record, click the caret icon to the left of the row.
Expand/collapse all visible rows
To expand or collapse the Body field for all activity records within the timeline table, click the Expand All or Collapse All link within the table options section of the Activity Timeline.
View more activity records
The Activity Timeline will load either 20, 50, or 100 records initially, depending on the settings your admin has chosen.
If there are additional records that can be shown, you will see a blue View More link at the top and/or bottom of the timeline table. Click this link to load more activity records.
Switch the sort order of activity records
The Activity Timeline initially sorts activity records from newest to oldest. To reverse the sort order and show the oldest records first, click the Reverse Sort Order icon () within the table options section.
Refresh the timeline table
To refresh the timeline table and check for new activity records, click the Refresh icon () within the table options section.
Wrap/clip text within the timeline table
The Subject of any activity record may be longer than the available space within the timeline table. In this case, the Activity Timeline will either clip the extra text (hiding it), or wrap the text.
Your admin will set either Wrap Text or Clip Text as the default setting. You can switch this setting by clicking the link within the table options section.