The robust settings found within the Time & Billing Settings page allow admins to customize the time entry and cost experience across their entire organization. The purpose of this article is to review the purpose and functionality of each section of the Time & Billing Settings page.
Within the Time & Billing Settings page there is a separate tab dedicated to Rate Management. We’ve broken coverage of this tab, and rates in general, into their own article. For more information on rates, please see this related article.
- Time Tracking Settings
- Cost Settings
- Billing Settings
- Related Articles
Time Tracking Settings
The first group of sections on this page are collected under the Time Tracking Settings heading. These sections deal specifically with the Time Tracking experience, and included: Time Preferences, Time Access & Security, Objects & Display, Time Entry Form Display, Time Entry Table Display, Timekeepers & Classifications, and Data Migration Settings.
The settings found under this heading relate to how time entries are handled within the app.
- Track times by the second.
- Track times by the minute.
- Hour Decimal
- Track times by portion of an hour.
Regardless of which option you choose, you will see running Timers count in seconds. This is a visual cue to let you know that the timer is running.
Time & Billing determines how the app rounds time—up, down, to the nearest interval, or not at all. Round to the Nearest is selected by default.
You can also manage how the app determines billing intervals—by 60, 30, 15, or 6 minutes. This determines on what interval the billed amount for the time entry will be calculated. For example, 6 minutes corresponds to every 0.1 of an hour.
Time Access & Security
This section allows you to edit two settings:
- Dictate what types of time entries can non-time track users view.
- Toggle the ability for users to log time on the behalf of other users.
- For more information on setting up this feature, please refer to our dedicated article.
Objects & Display (Time)
Navigate to Objects & Display in the Settings sidebar to adjust Object & Display Fields.
Object & Display Fields allows the Admin to determine to which Objects Users can save Time Entries. Admins can also dictate how those Objects will be displayed.
Orgs can save Time Entries to a maximum of five Objects.
To add a new Object:
- Click Add Object.
- Type in the first few letters of the Object you’d like to add.
- Select the Object.
- Type the first few letters of the Primary Display Field.
- This is what Users will see when selecting the Object.
- Click the Display Field.
- Designate a secondary display field.
- This step is optional. The secondary display field provides more information about the record.
- Adjust the order of objects using the arrows under the Actions column.
- Delete any unwanted entries using the trashcan icon.
- Click Save.
Default Ordering on Search Component
Within the Objects & Display section you can also adjust the default ordering on the search component, and what display fields are used when searching. This component is used in several places, such when searching for Time Entries in the Time Tracking app. To take advantage of this feature, just use the up and down arrows under the Actions column to adjust the object order.
Time Entry Form Display
This section allows you to dictate which fields are available when creating a Time Entry. These changes are reflected anywhere you can create a Time Entry, including from the Timer or when creating batches of Time Entries. Some items on this page cannot be edited, this is because they are required for the feature to work properly.
You will notice that the upper section of this page contains standard Time Tracking fields. Further down on the page you will see custom fields for your organization. There is a button under the Custom Fields section if you would only like to see fields that are enabled.
Adjust the toggle to the "active" position (slider to the right, highlighted blue) for each item you wish to appear on the Time Entry form. To deactivate any fields, just slide the toggle to the deactivated position.
You can also set whether you wish for a field to be required when creating a Time Entry. To do this, check the box under "Required" for any items you wish to make mandatory.
As a reminder, you will not see the customized Time Entry form selections in detail views, such as the editable detail view of entries on the Time Tracking page, you will only see these in our custom Add Time Entry components.
Time Entry Table Display
Time Entry Table Display allows you to determine which fields are displayed in Time Sheets and on the Matter (and Admin) View.
Time and Amount Total
The two checkboxes on this page allow you to dictate what totals are displayed on the Time Entry Table. This is helpful if you don't think that users need to view time and/or amount totals.
To add a column, click the blue plus button (+) and select from the list of options (all of the options available are accessible fields on the time entry itself).
Timekeepers & Classifications
This section allows you to view all Timekeepers—or users—who have access to the Time & Billing application, organize them into classifications—or groups, and create classifications codes.
The first section allows you to view all timekeepers in your organization who have access to the Time & Billing application. From here you can add users to classifications, dictate their Time Tracking User Type, and determine their ability to delete time entries or manage rates.
To edit a single timekeeper, select the pencil icon at the far-right end of their row. Make the desired updates in the box that appears and then click Save.
Alternatively, you can edit several timekeepers at the same time by checking the box next to the names of timekeepers you wish to edit, and then clicking the Update Timekeepers button at the top of the page.
Keep in mind that the Time Tracking Permissions settings (pictured below) will only appear when editing Standard Time Tracking users. This is because the other group, Time Tracking Admin, has these abilities granted to them by default.
The Classifications section allows you to create new classifications, manage existing classifications, and assign timekeepers to classifications based on their role or the nature of their work.
For more information on creating and managing classifications, please see our dedicated article.
The final section on this page related to the creation and management of Classification Codes. These codes are used to organize timekeeper groups for management, reporting, and LEDES billing.
To create a new code:
- Navigate to this page and click the New Classification Code button at the top of the page.
- Name your new code, describe its purpose in the box provided, add a classification code, and then set the status of the code as Active or Not active.
- Click Save.
- Edit existing codes by clicking the pencil icon next to their name under the Actions column.
- Delete unwanted coes using the trash can icon.
Data Migration Settings
Time Entry & Rate Calculation
This setting must be enabled in order for Time Entry and Rate Access to function properly. Disable access calculation when performing a data migration of time entries or rates.
Objects & Display (Costs)
This section mirrors the Objects & Display section found under the Time Tracking Settings section. The difference being that this section allows you to choose which objects are associated with cost records—as opposed to the other section that deals with time entries. In addition to adding objects, here is where you can select primary and secondary display fields for each object.
Cost Form Display
This section allows you to select which fields are displayed when adding a Cost, and to decide which items are required.
Cost Table Display
As with the Time Entry Table Display section, this section allows you to customize which columns appear in the cost table, and in which order. Take note, that this section also allows you to dictate which totals appear within the header of cost tables.
This section allows admins to determine the rate selection method for your organization. The system will either allow staff to manually select rates for use when creating time and costs, or it will assign the rate automatically on save. Firms wishing more control over billing rates may want to remove the selection process when saving time entries and costs.
Invoice Number Setup
Invoice Number Assignment allows your firm to set the format and sequence of invoice numbering. Configuring auto-numbering allows the system to assign invoice numbers as Bills move into the Billed status.
Once the auto-numbering begins, it is not recommended to manually edit an invoice number, as this may result in the sequence being off and duplicates.
- Open the Time & Billing Settings app. Select Billing Preferences.
- Enable auto-numbering by clicking the toggle switch.
- Once auto-numbering is enabled, three text fields will appear.
- Characters allows a title or string of characters to be included as part of every invoice number.
- Number of Digits sets the amount of digits that are present in the invoice number.
- Next Number determines what number will be assigned to the next generated invoice.
Billing Code Management
The Billing Code Management section allows you to create and manage billing code sets (or groups of codes), and the individual billing codes found within those sets. Billing Codes correspond to activities that show up on a client bill, either on paper bills or via e-billing. We understand that organizations who use e-billing have to use specific (UTBMS) codes to account for tasks performed and costs accrued during a case, and the Litify Billing Codes feature was designed with these codes in mind.
When generating billing codes within Litify you will have the opportunity to to define UTBMS codes for your billing codes. These codes will be reflected later when you generate LEDES files from bills for e-billing purposes.
Remember that billing codes can only be created and managed by someone within the Billing Admin permission set. Also keep in mind that it is not possible to have a billing code without associating it to a billing code set.
Generating Billing Codes
This section is divided into three subsections, each of which pertains to the management of a specific type of code set.
- Task Codes: Codes related to specific tasks.
- Cost Codes: Codes relating to costs.
- Activity Codes: Codes relating to activities.
Regardless of which section you are working in, the process for creating a new code set remains the same.
- Navigate to this page and the appropriate subsection.
- Click New Billing Code Set.
- Name your new code set using the box provided.
- The Type will automatically populate based on the section you are working in.
- Describe your new code set using the box provided.
- This step is optional.
- Click Save.
- This will return you to the list of code sets for the subsection you’re working in.
- Click the name of the code set you just created.
- From this screen you can edit the code set, search for codes, or create new codes. To return to the previous screen, use the Back to Activity Code Sets button.
- Take note of the UTBMS Code field found within the New Billing Code window. While this field is not required, you may find it critical in establishing a clear trail from billing entries, to bills, and later to LEDES files. LEDES files can be generated from the Billing application and later imported into your preferred piece of bookkeeping software.
- Click New Billing Code.
- Enter all necessary information in the boxes provided, then click Save.
- Time & Billing Classifications Overview
- Generating Billing Invoices and LEDES Files
- Time & Billing Matter View
- Using the Timer
- About Time & Billing Permission Sets